Classroom Wellness Program
During primary school years, social and emotional development revolves around increasing the capacity of children to recognise and regulate their emotions.
Well-managed learning environments that are safe and nurturing are essential to students mastering social and emotional skills (SEL).
Where SEL is part of day to day classes, research shows academic benefits for students and improved outcomes for schools, including:
- Increased academic outcomes
- Greater student motivation to:
- commit to school
- increase the time devoted to school work
- Improved attitudes and behaviours
- Decrease in student behaviours such as aggression and disruptive conduct, reducing emotional distress in the classroom
- Less pressure on teachers resulting in reduced staff turnover and sick leave
HelpingMinds® has developed two Classroom Wellness Programs.
These programs assist teachers implement practical tools and processes into their classrooms so Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is integrated into the daily teaching program.
- were developed in consultation with teachers
- are 90 minutes
- are facilitated by mental health professionals who have experience working with young people
- fit within Component 2 of the KidsMatters initiative
Program 1 – Incorporating Wellbeing into everyday routines
- The importance of social and emotional learning
- Learn key activities that can be incorporated into everyday interactions that will support children’s social and emotional learning
- The 5 social and emotional competencies and how they fit within the KidsMatter framework
Program 2 – Working With Anxiety
- Understand what anxiety is and how it may be experienced by children in a school environment
- How can you support a child in an anxious state?
- Providing a calm and safe classroom environment
- Nurturing the development of resilience and resourcefulness
Find out more by getting in touch with us