Carer Peer Worker
Employment type: Permanent
Employment Category: Part-time – (Monday, Wednesday & Friday)
Remuneration: $60,548 – $63,094 (pro rata) + superannuation + salary packaging
HelpingMinds is a highly regarded carer support and mental health services organisation, established over 40 years ago. Our compassionate team of staff and dedicated volunteers throughout the metro and regional areas, provide quality services and support to more than 10,000 children, youth, adults, and families affected by mental illness every year.
We are a value-driven organisation that encompasses the values of Hope, Collaboration, Trust, Integrity, and Respect to provide quality service. We welcome your individuality, your ideas, your passion, and your drive. Our people focused culture and flexible approach will help you to succeed both professionally and personally.
The Carer Peer Worker provides emotional and practical support to carers on an individual and group basis. Assisting with identifying their needs for support and helping them to navigate their way through mental health services and discharge processes. Promoting hope for recovery of their loved one, choice and self-determination, they emphasise the importance of maintaining health using shared experiential knowledge, skills and strategies for caring for a person experiencing a mental health challenge.
The position also participates in peer-to-peer supervision, operational team meetings and regular meetings with social worker based onsite locations either virtually or onsite.
This position reports to the Care Governance Lead and is offered on a permanent part-time basis working three days per week – Monday, Wednesday & Friday. The role will co-locate at Mimidi Park Rockingham and Rockingham Kwinana Mental Health Services.
For a comprehensive overview please refer to the Job Description Form.
To be considered for this role candidates will need to have the below essential qualifications and experience.
- Cert IV Mental Health Peer Work OR substantial years of relevant experience
- National Police Clearance (valid within 6 months), Working With Children Check, Current Drivers License, Current First Aid Certificate
- Current Covid-19 VaccineIn line with HelpingMinds policy, WA Government Health Directions and Public Health Orders, the successful candidate will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and as such will need to provide evidence of their COVID-19 Vaccination status prior to commencement.
- Lived experience as a family member/carer of a person with a diagnosed mental illness and the ability to utilise this experience constructively for the benefit of others
- Ability to support the concepts of recovery-oriented practice and understand the aspects of mental health services that may hinder recovery.
- An understanding of peer support, self-determination, person-centered care, ambiguous loss and the concept of carer empowerment.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, including the ability to prioritise referrals and duties associated with the role.
- Well-developed communication skills including the ability to build relationships with carers and work in an empathetic way. Communication may be through in person, telephone, or remote working.
- Ability to work as a team with peer workers and Care Governance Lead offsite and based in different locations to ensure optimisation of the peer workforce and service delivery.
What we offer
In addition to joining a professional and dynamic team, you will work in a supportive and positive environment with staff that live by HelpingMinds’ values and have a strong focus on community needs. We understand the importance of health and wellbeing and offer an employee wellness program.
Remuneration and Benefits include:
- Base salary $60,548 – $63,094 (pro rata) per annum (depending on experience)
- Generous superannuation contributions starting at 11%, increasing to 12% once reaching one year of continuous service
- Generous tax-free salary packaging benefits where you can package up to $15,900 per annum
- Professional development and support around training opportunities
- Great annual leave entitlements starting at 5 weeks per year (pro rata). Increasing to six weeks (pro rata) once reaching three years of continuous service
- Two additional wellness days per year to support your own mental health. Increasing to three days at three years of contusions service (pro rata)
- ICT Equipment Provided
- Mileage Reimbursed
- Access to EAP services
How to Apply
To apply for this position and take the next steps towards a rewarding career with HelpingMinds, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
For more information, contact the Recruitment team on 08 9427 7100
Please note: given the high volume of candidate applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Trading as HelpingMinds Limited.
HelpingMinds® Limited is an equal opportunity employer supporting diversity in the workplace. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, LGBTIQIA+, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, and people with lived experience of mental health issues and of supporting family members with mental health issues