• Growing not-for-profit organisation – making a difference in the community
• Be a part of a value-driven organisation
• Permanent, full-time opportunity available
Who we are
HelpingMinds is a highly-regarded carer support and mental health services organisation, established over 40 years ago. Our compassionate team of staff and dedicated volunteers throughout the metro and regional areas, provide quality services and support to more than 10,000 children, youth, adults and families affected by mental illness every year.
We are a value-driven organisation that encompass the values of Hope, Collaboration, Trust, Integrity, and Respect to provide quality service. We welcome your individuality, your ideas, your passion and your drive. Our people focused culture and flexible approach will help you to succeed both professionally and personally.
We are looking for an individual with a strong passion and drive for helping people improve their lives. The Family Support Counsellor will be required to work predominantly in the Perth northern suburbs but may be required to work across other sites in the Perth Metropolitan region. This position will require some outreach work to community groups in the area which may be claimed through the organisation’s mileage process.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
• Provide a counselling service to young and adult carers, including Aboriginal and culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) carers – (face to face, telephone, e-mail and/or skype);
• Employ both a brief intervention model for working with clients as well as therapeutic interventions where that is appropriate for the support HelpingMinds offers;
• Establish self-help Support Groups for Carers and provide support to the group once it is established;
• Establish, foster and maintain close working links with relevant mental health and other service providers;
• Advocate for Carers as required;
• Provide educational workshops and community awareness programs for Community Groups;
• Develop and maintain close working partnerships with local government and non-government organisations and develop strong referral pathways;
• Establish, foster and maintain close working links with relevant CALD Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal service providers to develop and maintain effective services to family members and Carers.
What will you need to succeed:
This is an opportunity for a client focussed Family Support Counsellor with a genuine interest in making a difference. You will have a demonstrated ability to engage and provide counselling support to adults and young people within an individual and group setting.
With a qualification in Counselling, Psychology or Social Work you will pride yourself on being self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously while continuing to work towards team goals. You must have a demonstrated ability to consult, liaise and maintain close working relationships with other service providers.
Additionally, you will have the ability to provide advocacy services through effective oral and written communication skills.
The successful candidate will be required to work one evening a week from 11:30am to 7:36pm.
What you’ll receive in return:
In addition to joining a professional and dynamic team, you will receive support from experienced Team Leads and Managers. This includes onsite supervision individually once a month with your Team Lead and Group Supervision once a month with your peers.
As a not for profit organisation we offer salary packaging benefits. On top of standard leave entitlements, you will receive x2 additional Wellness Days per year to support your own mental health.
How to Apply
To apply for this position and take the next steps towards a rewarding career with HelpingMinds, please submit a resume, cover letter and a document addressing the selection criteria contained in the job description.
Applications without a selection criteria will not be considered. For a copy of the Position Description, inclusive of the selection criteria, please click here
For more information, please contact the HR Team on 08 9427 7100.
All applications should be emailed to email@example.com.
** Closing date not applicable, candidates are encouraged to apply without delay**
Trading as HelpingMinds Limited.
HelpingMinds Limited is an equal opportunity employer supporting diversity in the workplace. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, and people with lived experience of mental health issues and of supporting family members with mental health issues