Counselling support is available to adults who support a family member or friend with a diagnosed mental health issue or an un-diagnosed mental health concern. Support is available in person by appointment at several metro offices, as well as via telephone.
Our Family Support Counsellors are qualified and from a variety of backgrounds including social work, counselling, and psychology, and receive ongoing support and supervision to maintain a quality of service for our clients. Clients can access up to 12 sessions as an individual, couple, or family to explore concerns relating to the family member or friend’s mental health issue.
We are all different, and so our counselling support is tailored to meet the specific needs of each client.
Types of support includes:
- Education on a loved one’s mental health issue-what it is, and how it may affect them day to day
- Communication strategies
- Enhancing understanding of your own limitations and identifying when you are not coping
- Development of health coping strategies
- Understanding and acknowledgement
- Safety planning
- Referral to appropriate HelpingMinds® services and others where appropriate
For more information phone 1800 811 747.